Here are a few things just about any organization can do to increase the visibility of their website with little or no additional expense! Of course, none of these are absolutely free! Dirt cheap marketing will, at a minimum, have some expense of labor or time. Be sure to use as many of these as you can stand to do and do them as often as you can fit into your schedule.
Inexpensive Marketing, Done Dirt Cheap…
- Make your website part of your organization’s overall business strategy. Train staff to know what the website has and how it is organized so they area able to direct inquiries to the website for the latest and greatest.
- Writing and posting press releases at free Public Relations sites can generate some traffic, but only if you have something new or newsworthy. If you don’t, you might try making some news by developing an online survey & posting results, holding a contest, celebrating your company anniversary with a giveaway or special event, or announcing a public speaking engagement. Local groups often look for luncheon speakers, convention speakers, etc. Do it for a low-cost (or even free), with the stipulation that your slide show will have your logo and URL on it, or have someone read your short bio before you speak, with some emphasis of your URL.
- Everyone remembers to put a phone number on their business card, how about an email address? A web address? That’s dirt cheap marketing since you’re already printing a business card anyway, right? This is not antiquated. There are a lot of face-to-face opportunities that are lost without a business card.
- Include your URL on business cards, letterhead, press releases, brochures, in videos, printed flyers, newsletters, newspaper classified, product packaging and any other promotional items that you give out.
- Write an article about your products and services, how to use your product or the history of its invention and development. Get the article published, send it as a press release and post it on your website too. If published, remember to include an email address and a web address with your byline.
- Make sure all email inquiries or complaints are answered quickly and regularly. This improves the perception of and interest in the company.
- Participate in on-line forums, newsgroups, chat rooms, mail lists, etc. Especially look for venues that are focused on your industry. If at all possible, use your website’s URL as part of your signature.
- Give customers a good reason to come to your website by offering them something for free if the recipient will register!
- Free on-line Courses. Write a couple of articles and turn them into a mini course. Give step by step information on a subject.
- Give away an eBook. Write a book about a narrow topic in your field. Place it into a protected area and offer it for free, when they register.
- Offer a t-Shirt or other Free promotional item. Make sure it’s something genuinely desirable and branded in some way with your company logo and web address. Of course, you’ll have to get their email and mailing address. 😉 <
- Seek out the websites of other organizations that may be willing to link to you. Think of suppliers, trade associations, your own customers and other professional allies. Even competitors occasionally trade links.
- This may or may not produce much in the way of responses, but try creating a graphic ad/banner that is well thought out. Produce it in many different sizes and styles. Offer to exchange appearances of ‘my banner’ on your website for the appearance of ‘your banner’ on my website.
Please note that some of the above methods may put your email address and / or your web address out there for plenty of customers and SPAMMers alike. We strongly recommend the following:
- Install and use some kind of spam killing software before you start to use any of these methods.
- With regard to your web site, consider the use of a spam killing form at your website.
Hey, it’s a big internet. There’s a lot of room for the big and little guys and plenty of opportunities for unbelievable growth. Contact us and let’s discuss ways to grow!